Happy Pets

How do you know if your pet is happy? And what can you do if it's not?

In this post, let's take a look at some of the signs that your pet is happy/unhappy. And let's see what you can do if your pet is unhappy. (Note that I'm not claiming to be an expert here. I'm just sharing what I know based on my experiences with the pets at my home as well as what I've found out.)

How to Know if Your Pet is Happy? 
 

It's important to note that there are many factors that can determine if your pet is happy or otherwise, such as its age, health as well as how much exercise it gets.

Happy pets are most often described as being relaxed and calm. They are playful and energetic, but not hyperactive. They show affection for their owners by actively seeking them out and by being responsive to attention from their owners. 

In the case of a dog, it has floppy ears and a soft gaze when it's happy  And it'll  wag its tails and lean into you when it's happy. In addition, a pet dog will run or come to you when it's happy, specifically when it's happy to see you.

In the case of a cat, you'll know that it's happy when you observe the following: purring, kneading, slow blinking and  showing its belly. In addition, it'll hold its tail up high with the tip twitching slightly when it's happy.

In the case of a parrot, you'll know that it's happy if you hear it sing, whistle or talk. Or if you see it flapping its wings. Or if you see it grooming itself. Or if it seeks your company.

How do I know if the pets at my home are happy? Well, in the case of the eclectus parrot, he'd play with me when he's happy. For example, he'd hide his face and when I look into his eyes, he'd hide further. And this could go on for quite a while if he's in a really good mood. In the case of the late African grey parrot, he'd keep repeating words or make some funny sounds whenever he was in a good mood.

When the Pomeranian doggy is happy, he'd run towards me when I'm out of my room. Or he'd bow when he sees me.  Or he'd lie down on his side when he sees me. (I know instinctively that he's happy whenever he does that.)

How to Know if Your Pet is Unhappy?

Unhappy pets may look tense or anxious. They may avoid interaction with others or they may become aggressive when approached. They may also seem withdrawn or depressed.  They may hide in a corner and avoid eye contact. 

If your dog is unhappy, it may engage in destructive behaviours or it may start pacing. Or it may start licking and chewing its paws. Or it may tuck its tails between its legs. Or it may refuse treats that it likes.

If your cat is unhappy, it may urinate outside its litter box. And if you notice that your cat isn't grooming itself, it may be because it's unhappy. In addition, it may engage in scent marking if it's unhappy. 

If your parrot is unhappy, you'll notice the following: constant fluffing of feathers, feather shedding, head bobbing, toe tapping, body swinging, pacing or squawking.

How do I know if the pets at my home are unhappy? Well, in the case of the late African grey parrot, he'd show his sadness in obvious ways, such as turning his body away when he felt rejected. When I noticed that, I'd go near him and he'd then happily turn his body around and let me touch his beak.

In the case of the doggy, he'd avoid eye contact with me when he's not in a good mood. Or he'd hide himself. Or he'd look sulky. Sometimes when I see that, I'd try to play with him. At times, that works while at other times, it doesn't. And when it doesn't work, I'd just leave him alone.

What Can You Do if Your Pet is Unhappy? 

There are things you can do if your pet is unhappy. 
 
According to https://topdogtips.com, some of the things you can do to make your dog happy are as follows:

1. Keep the dog physically active 

2. Give your dog (new) treats

3. Snuggle and chill together

4. Talk to your dog

You may want to give your dog massages if you notice that it's unhappy. Whenever I massage the doggy, I could tell that he enjoys it, especially when I massage his head. So if you've never done that before, you may want to give it a try.

 

What do I do if the pets at my home aren't happy? Well, in the case of the late African grey parrot, when I noticed that he was unhappy, I'd try to cheer him up by focusing my attention on him, especially when I sensed that he was sad because I was playing with the eclectus parrot. At other times, I'd imitate the way he talked because I could tell that he liked it.

When I sense that the doggy is unhappy, I'd try to cheer him up by playing with him. Or I'd just spend time with him without saying anything. Or I'd give him treats because he loves to eat. Giving him treats works best so far. (He's now overweight and so I've to be mindful of the amount I give him each time.)

Conclusion

Having pets is a responsibility and a long-term commitment. As such, before you decide to bring a pet into your life, it's important that you think through the matter thoroughly. Otherwise, instead of having a happy pet, you may end up with a perpetually unhappy one. 
 

Cheers, 
Annie Chan

(P/s: My next blog post will be published on 29 Jan 2023. Please subscribe to my YouTube channel here: Annie's Music Everywhere. Thanks!:))

Please check out my latest music video with the same title: https://youtu.be/tRGxc1T9Zzs

https://cakemail.grsm.io/rwzlypzuzm7k-xpnow 

https://cakemail.grsm.io/u06ncsy1xw61-addk4r 

https://linktree.com/anniechan123



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Perfectionism is Bad for Your Mental Health!

Is Euthanasia the Only Way Out for Your Dog with Canine Cognitive Dysfunction (CCD)?

Do You Eat Dog Meat?